Thursday, October 6, 2011

10 year high school reunion already?


Last weekend I went to my 10 year high school reunion (surprised right? Considering I don't look a day over 21...). Honestly I surprised myself by even going. I always said i wouldn't. I didn't really enjoy high school. I always felt awkward and that I didn't really fit into a group. I wasn't a nerd, jock, cheerleader, drama queen, sports star, goth lover, or an active participate in any kind of club. I was just, well...me. I had a few friends, but not many, and I haven't really kept in touch with many of them.

Facebook, however, has put me in contact with many of my fellow classmates and have actually began "facebook friendships" (you all know what I'm talking about). I hoped that we would all see each other at the reunion and just chat it up all night, but I was also a little nervous that people would instantly jump back into their old clicks and I would essentially be left in a corner showing my husband how 'popular' I really was in high school. So what exactly happened that night? Well, a little bit of everything. Since me and Jarrod are always such early birds (well, he is so I am by default) the 1st 20 minutes were a little awkward. You find yourself glancing around the room hoping to find someone to talk to. You give the nervous smile and hope they even recognize who you are.

After the 1st 20 minutes went by there were plenty of people to chit chat with. Even my husband found a few friends :) The room quickly filled up with people. All the old year books were laid out and my husband got to see just how photogenic I was back then . They had door prizes, to which we (and pretty much everyone else) won a free Bang, Bang Shrimp appetizer (my husband LOVED this!). They also had a fun photobooth set up with tons of props! We opted for a cheesy, framed kiss :)



All in all I'm really glad I went. Some people have changed and others have stayed the same. I'm excited to see what the 20th reunion will be like, and I now know that I will definitely be going to that one too.

Here's a picture of all the alumni together. If you look closely you can see my left eye. I got stuck behind one of the big boys and everytime they went to take a picture he would raise his arm and hoop and hollar. I finally had to yank his arm down on the last one they took so that I could maybe prove I was really there.

1 comment:

  1. What?!? You had to have been the friendliest person I knew in high school! I didn't think that you was awkward at all! And as for talking to people, (you know how "unshy" I am, and still I found it hard to strike up convos.....anything past the "whatcha been up to?"....insert awkward silence.
    Anywho, you looked beautiful, and I agree, I wish there would have been more of an opportunity to chat. I think many people fell back into the cliques because they too were trying to "avoid the awkwardness".

    ReplyDelete